MY STYLE MANTRASFriday, August 12, 2016
I love fashion. I know that seems redundant for me to openly state this now after blogging about fashion for over 6 years, but I really do. Sometimes I get overwhelmed thinking about the direction of my blog, but I never want to forget my roots or why I started blogging. I started blogging because I love fashion. I wanted to showcase my personal style, and help girls who looked like me find their personal style as well. And while I still blog about fashion, my blog as evolved into more of a lifestyle blog in which I cover a plethora of topics, but I never want to forget the core of this blog! And that is why I'm bringing you this post!!
I don't consider myself a trendsetter, but I do consider my style to be one of a kind. I've always dressed differently from my friends. I would wear things that other people would have no idea how to style, and I would make it my own. I never wanted to look like anyone else. Don't get me wrong, I love to be inspired by other people's sense of style, but I like to make everything my own. When I think about style or putting together my outfits, I have 10 mantras that I live by:
1. Size Doesn't Matter - Over the course of my blog I've fluctuated in my weight significantly. I've been a size 8 all the way up to a size 18. The fluctuation in weight has definitely made it hard for me to feel confident in my clothes. When I first became plus-size, I didn't know how to dress myself. I looked frumpy in everything, and I didn't even know where to shop. It took me following other plus-size bloggers to find my way! And that is the power of fashion blogging. Magazines weren't helping me because they never talk about curvy women, so I needed to find my way. I say all this for you to realize that no matter your size you can still be stylish and find clothes that work for your body shape.
2. Fashion For All - As an African-American, it's definitely harder to find females that look like me in the fashion industry. Don't get me wrong. The industry has GREATLY improved with the amount of diverse models in magazines and on the runway, but it could still be better. This mantra is very similar to the Size Doesn't Matter. It doesn't matter what your ethnicity is, fashion is just as much for you as it for the next person, so OWN it!
3. All Trends Aren't Created Equal - Ahhh trends. I always find myself in a love/hate relationship with trends. I like trends because they definitely give a good basis for starting your style journey. However, I don't believe in going broke to own a trend, and I don't believe in wearing a trend because it's trending. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it works for you. Always choose your trends wisely and try not to do it buy wearing a million trends all at once.
4. Don't Try Too Hard - This brings me to this mantra. It's very obvious to me when people are trying to hard to be trendy or stylish. Style should be effortless. It should come naturally. If you don't feel comfortable in what you're wearing, people can tell, and we know that you're trying too hard.
5. Do Everything like a girl because being a girl is awesome - I love being a female. I love celebrating my curves and the plethora of clothing options that I have on a daily basis. Own being a female and never be ashamed of it!
6. Be "You"nique - Never try to look or be like anybody else. Create your personal style that works for you! Be unique!
7. Remix, Repurpose, Rework - Remix your pieces. You'll be amazed at how many outfits you currently have in your closet by simply wearing your separates with different things. I like to repurpose some of my clothing. Do you have a dress that's just too short now? Tuck it into a skirt and wear it as a shirt. Don't be quick to throw old favorites away! And last but not least, you can rework your separates. You can cut the sleeves off of an old T and create a tank top. Chop an old pair of jeans into a pair of shorts!
8. Quality vs. Quantity - I used to buy new clothes every week, because I never wanted to be captured in the same clothes twice. This got old and pricey VERY quickly. As I got older, I realized saving money for investment pieces that last forever was better than a bunch of cheap, knock-off fast-fashion pieces. Don't get me wrong. I still buy fast-fashion, but I do tend to spend more on handbags, shoes, etc that I want to be able to wear and use over and over again.
9. Life's A Runway, Enjoy the Walk - Don't settle for the age old idea that you're "just" going to the Grocery Store. I love to dress up for everything! (As long as I'm feeling well). Treat your life like a runway and dress-up!
10. Life is Short, Buy the Shoes - This isn't mine, but I read it in a boutique one day and I fell in love with it. It's pretty self-explanatory.